Secret of Otate 1587: Narumiin and Kenshin's Will, Chapter-2

 

Secret of Otate 1587: Narumiin and Kenshin's WillChapter-2

Chapter 2: Kenshin's True Feelings

 

 

Kenshin-sama invited Narumiin-sama to Bishamondo before the banquet at San-no-maru.

"Kasugayama Castle is still as grand as ever. It hasn't changed since our childhood. The only one who has changed is the lord of the castle..."

"The reason I summoned you here is for the future of Echigo..."

"Even if you speak of such important matters to a woman like me..."

"Your birth mother comes from a noble family, but she carries the blood of the Imperial family's protectors, skilled in martial arts. The princess I saw back then, by chance your cousin, was also among the victims of the upheaval. You were the most beautiful in Echigo, but that princess had an indescribable beauty. Looking back now, I regret it bitterly..."

"Are you saying I used to be beautiful?"

"No, I misspoke. Don't make such a scary face. Forgive me..."

"I heard that Princess Rin was going to be married off after being separated from her older brother..."

"Who is the suitor?"

"I don't know. Princess Rin disappeared before her wedding..."

"And what happened next?"

"Lord Mizoguchi was scolded and had his salary cut in half by his new in-laws..."

"What about Princess Rin?"

"She is still unmarried..."

"...?"

"She must have longed for her older brother..."

"I remember Narumiin was also married off to Lord Harutsuna as part of her father's political strategy..."

"I am currently unmarried..." 

"But I did something unforgivable to Princess Rin..."

"Was it after the second battle of Kawanakajima? I heard it from one of the Nokizaru. You were tired from your vassals' territorial disputes and conflicts among your subordinates. You attempted to run away for a while and headed to Mount Koya. During your absence, Lord Okuma betrayed you and suddenly returned to Kasugayama Castle, successfully defending it. That event strengthened the bonds in Echigo... And also..."

"And what is it..."

"The reason for your departure, my lord, was easily sensed by a woman's intuition. Could it be that you had fallen in love with Princess Rin?"

"What are you saying..."

"I won't hide anything from me..."

"I lost to Narumiin. It wasn't because I was tired from the vassals' disputes. I couldn't forget Princess Rin. Perhaps I am truly the incarnation of Bishamonten..."

"You shouldn't underestimate yourself. It is a sign of sincerity and honor towards women..."

"Even Narumiin had a beloved warrior before her marriage..."

"My lord, the conversation is straying off course... It's about events from the past..."

"Ah, it was indeed... I was careless. As for Narumi, I wanted her to hear my true feelings..."

"If you say so... I will listen to whatever you have to say..."

"Could you please look at the letter I wrote earlier? Kangoro, hand it over..."

"What kind of scroll is this?"

"Just read it..."

"This is... TNKA-FUGI, a mikotonori... It's the opposite of Nobunaga's TENKA-FUBU. This could lead to unavoidable conflict with him... And also... Mikotonori is a declaration from the Imperial Palace. Is Nobunaga planning to become the Emperor of Japan? Is my brother considering the same?"

"Don't make such a scary face... It's not like that. We must use poison to counter poison. After the chaos ends, we must focus on governance. We cannot neglect the Imperial Court..."

"It seems that Nobunaga aims to become the Emperor. He believes that anyone with power can become the Emperor, just like Genghis Khan or the Yongle Emperor of the Ming Dynasty..."

"If the chaos ends, that may be acceptable... For now, we have no choice..."

"My lord, I understand that. However, we must not rush the matter of succession. This won't satisfy everyone..."

"Even my testament? Even the incarnation of Bishamonten has fallen..."

"That's not the case. If you issue the decree, everyone will follow..."

"That's the problem... I hope Kagekatsu and Kagetora will agree, but if these concerns linger, it will be difficult..."

"As for the matter of succession, it relates to my lord, so I won't say anything, but I am somewhat uneasy. It's presumptuous to evaluate..."

"The coexistence of the next lord, Oyakata-sama (the true lord of the castle), Ojyucho-jo-sama (the Number2 of the castle), and the Kanto Kanrei-sama should work well. But the crucial factor is their ability. In my view, Kagekatsu does not seem to have the leadership to unite the country. Without capable advisors, he won't achieve much. We need someone who can lead with strength. Echigo's wealth in gold and silver accounts for about half of Japan, and its control of green rush is enough to command the nation. If you intend to succeed my lord, you must build TENKA-FUGI upon this foundation. There's no doubt we'll have to contend with Nobunaga. His defeat at the Tedori River has likely fueled his hostility. In a sense, Echigo and Kasugayama Castle can only be defended by someone with the caliber of Cao Cao in the late Han Dynasty. Therefore, Kagekatsu is not suitable..."

"Narumiin, as sharp as ever. What about Kagetora?"

"I would say Kagetora-sama is more suitable. He came here through an alliance with the Hojo and Uesugi. I've heard good things about Nanao Castle and the Tedori battle. He is highly regarded among the commanders. He won't disappoint my lord's expectations. However, it's best not to reveal this openly for now. Kagekatsu has strong jealousy and a tendency for paranoia towards Kagetora, so we cannot predict what might happen..."

"There is one more option..."

"The most ideal course of action would be to proceed according to my lord's current feelings. Your testament should suffice, but it depends on how Kagekatsu views it. If we see his reaction, both parties will likely respect the testament..."

"I see. If I tell Narumiin, it will ease my mind..."

"Looking at it this way, the Lion's Seal seems suitable. If you place your seal next to the Victorious Jizo, Bishamonten, and the Exquisite Bodhisattva, all the commanders will recognize you as the lord..."

"Besides me, you are the only one who can see the testament. Be careful on your way to Kaji Castle in Agakita-circle. Genta is accompanying you. Kangoro is there. Hidetsuna as well. The attendants Nakagawa and Asakura, too..."

"That's right..."

Kenshin-sama and Narumiin-sama conversed in Bishamondo for about two hours.

 

The banquet finally began at Sano-maru.

Lord Narumiin, Lord Genta, Lord Hidetsuna, Lord Kagetora, and the attendants Nakagawa and Asakuira were gathered around Lord Kenshin.

Lord Kenshin had also invited the esteemed merchant Goro Kurata, the head of the Echigo Blue Grass Market.

Narumiin had secretly brought along the relatives of Kenshin's beloved princess to the gathering.

 

"It's been a while. Before the banquet, there's someone I want everyone to meet. Goro, come here..."

"I am Goro Kurata of Echigo Blue Grass Market. Pleased to make your acquaintance."

"Ah, so you're Kurata. I've heard quite a bit about you. The success of our lord's battles is thanks to your efforts. When we combine Narumiin's gold mines with the Blue Grass Market, we can easily control Japan..."

"Genta, you're as lively as ever... Kangoro, tell Kanetsugu this: Kagekatsu should occasionally enjoy some sake too. If he can't drink, he can at least pretend..."

"My lord, if I may..."

"What is it, Kagetora..."

"It's just that Kagekatsu doesn't drink, and he might be hesitating for that reason... And also..."

"And also what? Speak clearly..."

"I mean, I was adopted into this family in later years, and I've been blessed with the princess and four children. I even had the chance to fight in battles before Kagekatsu..."

"Hahaha, so you're saying he's harboring jealousy? That won't get him to the top... Never mind. The sake's going to get cold. Genta, keep drinking. We'll drink till morning...

"I apologize..."

"My lord, I remember, during the first siege of Etsuzan when I was just fourteen years old. It was my first battle during the Odawara Castle campaign. It's hard to talk about the Hojo, but..."

"Genta, that was in the past. Don't worry about it..."

"You're right. I'm impressed. Let's raise a toast to the most handsome young man in this Warring States era..."

"Genta, you're getting drunk..."

"My lord, it reminds me of the time when I was appointed as the Kanto Kanrei by Lord Yoshiteru, and we faced an unexpected retreat during the Odawara Castle campaign. At that time, I had made a mistake in the placement of troops, and it seemed like we were going to lose. We had a heated argument. My lord sensed it and entrusted me with the role of Shingari, but luckily, you returned safely to Kasugayama Castle..."

"If you hadn't been there, I would have turned to ashes. I owe you my life. Thank you again..."

"I am a nameless lord of Agakita-circle, located in Kyoetsusigoku..."

"It seems you achieved great success alongside Hidetsuna in the fourth battle of Kawanakajima. You're truly reliable. Hidetsuna, drink up too..."

"Brother, Genta's stories are quite entertaining..."

"I saw potential in that man. I hope he can replace Kagekatsu someday..."

"Genta is quite drunk..."

"He's done me many favors. Let him be. He might become the lord of Kasugayama Castle someday... Hahaha..."

"With the lively Genta around, Echigo is in good hands. If our O and Kin mines join forces, we might bring an end to these turbulent times..."

"Goro, do you think the same way? Even the late Lord Yoshiteru said so..."

"Kagetora, there's something I want to ask you..."

"What is it?"

"What do you think should be done with the land of Echigo?"

"Such matters... burden me. I always believe it should be about loyalty to our lord and the bonds of righteousness..."

"You're still the exemplary one. What's said outwardly doesn't matter. I won't be around forever. I want to know your true feelings. Do you think Echigo should remain as it is?"

"I am but an adopted son, and I always think that there should be no conflicts or misunderstandings with Kagekatsu in matters of governance. Above all, if we can sit down over a drink and talk things out, perhaps we can understand each other... If that can be achieved, Echigo will be secure..."

"You remain humble as ever. I have high hopes for you, Kagetora. And there's also the matter of Domanmaru..."

"When I pass away, show a certain letter to Narumiin. I trust you. But I won't be able to show it for some time..."

"As you wish..."

"Brother, there's something that concerns me..."

"What is it?"

"About Lord Nobunaga and Lord Ieyasu. Will they unite the land?"

"I've heard they have a subordinate named Hashiba, a tricky character, to say the least..."

"I have dreams of a great upheaval in the future... a dream of turmoil in Echigo. Our lord's heir won't go to the capital, but will bow down to someone else... I can't see it clearly, but a sense of foreboding is overwhelming..."

"You have a strong heart and have been ahead of things since childhood... Well, I'm not as healthy as I used to be. I hope Echigo remains safe in the future..."

"I wish for the same, but..."

"In that case, take action soon... There's a reason I entrusted it to Narumiin..."

"I understand... Now, Brother, my apologies, but I have summoned someone..."

"Who is it?"

"You'll know when you meet them..."

"It's been a while..."

"Who could it be..."

"I am Hidekatsu Mizoguchi..."

"You're the one... related to Miwa, or rather, to Lord Nobunaga..."

"Yes, that's correct..."

"Was Lady Rin well..."

"She was my aunt, but her engagement was canceled when she was in her teens. That's why I took her in. She fell ill with consumption last autumn and passed away..."

"What a shame... She was just a couple of years younger than me..."

"Did she pass away... I see..."

"I know Lady Kenshin had feelings for her..."

"I'll be frank. Mizoguchi's words are true..."

"I see... That's painful... I'm relieved to hear it. May her spirit rest in peace..."

"Narumiin, was this relative you mentioned Mizoguchi...?"

"I apologize. Mizoguchi had a close relationship with my mother..."

"Ah, I remember now. Rin's situation made me wonder why you knew so much about it..."

"Genta... This is Hidekatsu Mizoguchi. He's quite taken with you..."

"I am Mizoguchi. It's a pleasure to meet you. Nobunaga-sama has spoken highly of your actions in the Battle of Kawanakajima, and he occasionally sends you requests to visit Owari..."

"He asked me to become one of his officers..."

"No need to be modest. Lord Kenshin only..."

"But it's strange..."

"But it's not strange at all... Rather than that, would you like some Owari sake...?"

"That's..."

"Hidekatsu, isn't it enough already? Once he sets his mind on something, he won't budge..."

"I apologize..."

"It's a shame... Nobunaga-sama..."

"I apologize..."

"Hidekatsu, let's leave it at that..."

"Lord Kenshin, I'm sorry for the inconvenience..."

"Mizoguchi, this may be fate. Let's enjoy a drink tonight..."

"Narumiin, I'm grateful for your feelings..."

"Genta, I'll accept your gratitude in spirit... I hope to continue having a connection with Mizoguchi in the future..."

"Haha..."

The banquet continued until late at night.

Genta, Kagetora, and Hidekatsu enjoyed themselves at the banquet like brothers.

A few days later, Narumiin and their party, along with Domanmaru, set out on the journey of Kaetsu's Agakita-circle Shu.

Lord Kenshin's letter was scheduled to be delivered to Narumiin at Kaji Castle by a page named Kangoro at the start of the thaw in the new year.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret of Otate 1587: Narumiin and Kenshin's Will, Chapter-1