Secret of Otate 1587: Narumiin and Kenshin's Will, Chapter-1

 

 

_________________

 

"Secret of Otate 1587: Narumiin and Kenshin's Will"

 

_________________

"The battle for Lord Kenshin's will, which was never meant to be shown to anyone, marked the beginning of the conflict known as the Otate War... The death of Saburo Kagetora was merely the prologue to this war. The fate of the final battle of the ten-year-long Otate War is yet to be determined..."

 

 

Synopsis

 

I am the scroll containing the last will and testament of the late Kenshin, but I was buried in the soil of Kaji Castle before the final battle of the Otate Rebellion. Domanmaru, along with Masanori Uesugi, was killed by Kagekatsu's men on their way to negotiate peace at Kasugayama Castle. Domanmaru had a twin, Yashamaru, who served as a decoy. Kenshin had secretly written his last will and testament. A young page named Kangoro carried the will and sought refuge with Genjiro Tarumi and Narumiin, Kenshin's sister at Kaji Castle.

 

Domanmaru grew up and, fueled by the grudges of his father Saburo Kgetora, mother Kakeiin, and his brothers, he challenged Hideyoshin's forces, including those led by Kagekatsu and Kenshin's loyalists, in an attempt to recapture Kashugayama Castle. The Otate Rebellion had raged on for over a decade. This is a dynamic and exhilarating simulation drama set in the Sengoku period.

 

Table of Contents

 

Chapter One: Late Autumn,1577, Tensho 5

Chapter Two: The True Intentions of Narumiin

Chapter Three: Turmoil at Kasugayama Castle

Chapter Four: The Incident at Honnoji 1582 and the Rebellion of Shigeie

Chapter Five: 1587,Otate Rebellion - The Final Battle

 

Key Characters

 

While there are many characters in this story, here are some of the key ones:

 

Kenshin Uesugi (Tiger of Echigo)

Narumiin (Kenshin's sister, wife of Harutuna, lord of Kaji Castle, and mother of Hidetsuna)

Doamnmaru (Kenshin's adopted son, the legitimate son of Kagetora)

Genta (Shigeie Shibata, lord of Shibata Castle)

Kangoro (kenshin's page, lord of Ijimino Castle)

Kagekatsu Uesugi (Kenshin's nephew)

Saburo Kagekatsu (Father of Doamnmaru and Kagetora)

Kakeiin (Mother of Doamnmaru)

Yshamaru (Domanmaru's twin brother)

Kanetsugu Naoe

Hideyoshin (Toyotomi Hideyoshi)

Hidekatsu Mizoguchi

 

 

 

 

Secret of Otate 1587: Narumiin and Kenshin's WillChapter-1

Chapter One: Tensho 5,(AD1577), Late Autumn

 

 

I have been dwelling deep within the soil of the castle ruins for a long time. It has been nearly ten years since I was born at Kasugayama Castle in the fifth year of Tensho. My memories of that time are now fading away.

I wonder if Lord Kenshin, during his lifetime, could have imagined such a sight. In the fifteenth year of Tensho, Narumiin's proclamation had the power to sway the entire realm. After Lord Kenshin's sudden passing, Echigo Province has been embroiled in a decade-long conflict over the succession between Kagekatsu and Lord Kagetora.

As I dwell in the earth, I have no knowledge of the fate of Echigo Province or Yamato Province during this time. The voices of Lord Genta and young Lord Domanmaru seem to reach me like echoes through the ground.

 

"Domanmaru-sama, no, my lady, I recall the battles at Kawanakajima under Lord Shingen's command. Beyond this Agano River, there await one hundred thousand soldiers..."

 

"Genta-dono, that is what we desire. We have fifteen thousand soldiers on our side. With this battle, we shall establish a new shogunate. We need to unite not only Echigo but all of Japan..."

 

"Your reassuring words are greatly appreciated. This may be Hideyoshi-dono's final battle as well..."

 

"It reminds me of the time when Lady Naruimiin was still with us..."

 

"Yes, indeed..."

 

"And see, reinforcements from our allies are arriving behind the enemy lines. It seems Shingen-dono is supporting us. Our forces have swelled to over fifty thousand..."

 

"This will surely be a battle for the history books... Narumiin-sama has also joined the frontlines..."

 

"Narumiin-sama, clad in her warrior attire atop a white horse, looks truly resplendent..."

 

"She was known as the most beautiful lady in Echigo during her youth..."

 

"Lord Doamnmaru, you must not say such things. Even now, well past forty, she remains as radiant as ever..."

 

"Yes, indeed. Such flattery is unnecessary. To doubt Narumiin-sama's sincerity could cost you your life. No matter what is said, she remains steadfast... Her unwavering spirit is inherited from Lord Kenshin..."

 

"Hahaha, Genta-dono, it's just like you..."

 

"Do you really think so?"

 

"Genta-dono, your face has turned red. You and Lady Naruimiin make a fitting pair..."

 

"I don't deserve such words. Although it is beyond my station, I would appreciate your approval..."

 

"Don't misunderstand. We merely meant that you and Narumiin get along well..."

 

"I-I see..."

 

"You seem to be sweating. Your eyes are also moist. What's the matter?"

 

"It's nothing..."

 

"Hahaha, fear not. Your gentle heart is a secret you need not share with anyone..."

 

"I can't compare to Domanmaru-sama... But I do this with a sense of duty..."

 

"You may swear your loyalty with honor and sake..."

 

"Haha..."

 

"When this chaotic era ends, Japan will improve. Hideyoshi-dono seeks to buy power with gold, but this will lead to the decline of Japan's politics. Narumiin's gold is meant for a different purpose..."

 

"Lord Kagakatsu intends to sell Echigo..."

 

"Listen, Genta-dono, alongside the Agakita-circle clan, we shall leave our names behind. Our parents and Yshamaru's spirits will finally find peace..."

 

"Kangoro, follow in my footsteps. We shall claim the heads of Hideyoshi-dono and Kagakatsu-dono..."

 

"Understood..."

 

"Gentaro-dono, it's time to begin..."

 

"Domanmaru-sama, let us give the signal for battle..."

 

 

 

Going back to the autumn of Tensho 5, Lord Kenshin had achieved triumph with the successful capture of Noto-Nanao Castle and a victory at the Tedori River in Kaga. Narumiin, accompanied by her son Hidetsuna-dono and the lord of the branch family, Lord Genta, had visited Kasugayama Castle.

Lord Kenshin had long been troubled by a stroke, and the relentless battles had taken a toll on his health. Narumiin-sama and Kenshin-sama were half-siblings, and they had known each other well even before she married Lord Harutsuna Kaji. There were suspicions of a stroke starting in his forties, but the grueling battles of Kawanakajima, fought five times, seemed to have exacerbated the condition. A year before his passing, Kenshin-sama had always kept a letter wrapped in blue linen by his side, foreseeing his death. A page named Kangoro had guarded it tirelessly.

Inside Kasugayama Castle, there was also concern about the rivalry between Lord Kagakatsu and Lord Kagetora. According to my recollection, neither of their names was designated as the successor. Only Kenshin-sama knew whose name was written in that letter, but there was one other person who knew.

During her early years, Narumiin-sama had often taken care of Kenshin-sama. Both Kenshin-sama and Narumiin-sama were raised as children of concubines of Lord Tamekage, but Narumiin-sama's cheerful demeanor was well-received within Kasugayama Castle. Their shared status as half-siblings might have connected them through respect and a sense of unity. In her early years, Narumiin-sama was called "Pomegranate" and "Princess Jasmine." It was said that the scents of pomegranate and jasmine emanated from her, but I, unfortunately, do not know what those scents are like. She later changed her name to Narumi-hime and, through a political marriage, became the wife of Lord Harutsuna Kaji, becoming known as Narumi-gozen. After the passing of Lord Harutsuna, she entered religious life but continued to exercise power as the regent for her son, Lord Hidenobu, even leading to the final battle of the Otate Rebellion

This reunion between the two at Kasugayama Castle would be their last. Kenshin-sama seemed to have wanted to share his feelings and thoughts with Narumiin-sama while he still had strength. Although the disease from his thirty years of relentless battles was slowly eating away at him, when they conversed together, it seemed to bring a sense of relief.

Having just captured the impregnable Noto-Nanao Castle and achieving a significant victory at the Tedori River battle in Kaga against Nobunaga's forces, securing Noto and Ecchu provinces, Kenshin-sama may have had a premonition that this would be the last battle of his lifetime.

 

"My sister, I've been eagerly waiting for this moment. It's been so long since we last met. Are you in good health?"

 

"Brother, you're too kind. I heard the news on my way here. Congratulations on the successful capture of Noto-Nanao Castle in September and the recent victory at the Tedori River. I heard that you even defeated Lord Nobunaga's forces. You must be exhausted. How have you been since then?"

 

"Oh, it's nothing too serious. Just a bit tired. Ah, there's Hidetsuna over there. He must have had a tough time during the battles at Kawanakajima. And Genta, too. You both worked hard. I haven't forgotten. I didn't send any formal gratitude, but I deliberately kept it in my mind. It's been a while, but I plan to present it to you directly..."

 

"My lord, your words are too kind. It was a long time ago. Your words alone make me happy..."

 

"Genta, that's not like you. Well, let's have a drink together. Among the Agakita-circle-shu, you're the strongest..."

 

"Only when it comes to drinking..."

 

"Even the incarnation of Bishamonten has fallen on hard times. My body aches all over after the battles at Kawanakajima. Genta, don't you feel the same?"

 

"I am but a humble guardian of Bishamonten's incarnation..."

 

"Haha, you say it so seriously. It's amusing..."

 

"Brother, today there's an important matter I'd like to discuss..."

 

"Oh, right, right. Genta and Hidetsuna, listen carefully. I might burden my sister with something..."

 

"Brother, please feel free to tell us. We'll never speak a word of it to anyone..."

 

"Yes..."

 

"There's a letter I've written, and Narumiin will keep it safe. I have a request for both of you. In case of unforeseen circumstances, I want you to deliver this letter to the lords of Echigo..."

 

"But, couldn't you ask Lord Kagetora or Kagekatsu for such a thing..."

 

"It's not that simple. The contents of this letter are significant. If it were to become known, it would surely lead to internal conflict. That's why I want to entrust it to Narumiin... Keep it confidential for a while..."

 

"But, even if you ask me to do so, I..."

 

"It's to bring an end to the chaos in Echigo and Japan..."

 

"If that's your wish, then I will humbly accept..."

 

"I apologize... There's one more thing I'd like to ask..."

 

"What is it?"

 

"My sister, could you take Domanmaru to Kaji Castle? I want him to undergo training. I want him to change his name and disguise himself as a servant, using the name 'Terukichi.' Consider it a whim... Domanmaru..."

"I have no objections..."

 

"Just until he comes of age. Narumi Kanayama is a precious asset, second only to Aodaisho. The commanders of the Agakita-circle-shu can't be without it. I want Domanmaru to lead the commanders if anything happens to me..."

 

"And what about Yashamaru?"

 

"There's no need to worry about Yashamaru. Since he and Domanmaru are twins, it's unlikely anyone would be able to tell them apart. It might be challenging for them to walk the same path in the future. I intend to keep Domanmaru at Norimasa's estate until he grows up, and afterward, I'll send him to a temple..."

 

"I understand, but it still doesn't make complete sense to me. Isn't it too early for you to be thinking like this..."

 

"I know my own situation best..."

 

"If you say so..."

 

"One more thing..."

 

"What is it?"

 

"Genta, I want to entrust Kangoro, the page, to you..."

 

"Genta-dono, please come here..."

 

"You seem to be acting as the lord of Ijimino Castle now..."

 

"Yes, since I have no heir, I've been adopted as their son..."

 

"Shibata Castle has your elder brother. There's no other way. Genta, can you agree to this...?"

 

"I understand, I'll take him under my care..."

 

"Also, I sent letters of gratitude to Irobe, Yasuda, Nakajo, and Tarumi, who fought with you and me at Kawanakajima... I believe Genjiro was also part of the Agakita-circle-shu, just like you..."

 

"I haven't heard much about Tarumi-dono since Kawanakajima..."

 

"It seems he charged into Shingen's headquarters in a direct confrontation, even injuring him with his sword. The story never seems to end in Koshu... Rest assured, Genjiro is living happily in Sakai..."

 

"In Sakai?"

 

"He looks quite similar to me. He couldn't stay in Echigo for various reasons. I asked Kurata-dono to have him disguise himself as a Sakai merchant and gather information on the daimyos..."

 

"I see..."

 

"It's been five years since Shingen-dono passed away. The Muromachi Shogunate is no more. We couldn't fulfill our promise with Yoshiteru-dono. I've changed my name to Terutora, but it's lonely. I'm thinking it might be a good idea for me to establish a connection with Lord Katsuyori, the successor to Shingen-dono. How about it? The Uesugi and Takeda clans becoming relatives..."

 

"Brother, don't say such foolish things. The situation hasn't settled with the Takeda clan, and Lord Nobunaga's power keeps growing. We must not be swayed by his schemes. The shogunate was crushed by him..."

 

"Don't worry, my sister. I have plans in place. We have a solid alliance with the Hojo and Takeda clans. We've also prepared for an eventual march to Kyoto. I know Lord Nobunaga's intentions. Keep an eye on his schemes. Genta, work well with my brother. I believe you can handle it. I'm entrusting Domanmaru and Narumiin to both of you..."

 

"Haha..."

 

"And now, Kangoro, bring Kagetora and Hana to us..."

 

"Understood..."

 

"My sister, keep your eyes on the contents of this scroll at all times. Later, verify it with your own eyes. For now, don't show it to anyone..."

 

"I understand... Brother, please don't worry. Nakagawa and Asakura, come here... These two are my son Hidetsuna's pages. Please get to know them and keep an eye on them..."

 

"Ensure that Hidetsuna and Gent become familiar with them..."

 

"Yes..."

 

"The princesses Pomegranate and Jasmine have these... You..."

 

"Is Yashamaru not coming?"

 

"Norimasa and I have been exploring the castle..."

 

"Well, that's fine. Kagekatsu still seems to be as reclusive as ever... No matter how much I call him, he won't come. I wonder what's bothering him so much...?"

 

"Kagetora, you've done well this time. We finally captured Noto. We faced quite some challenges during the siege, but thanks to your efforts, it seems we're on track for our third ascent to Kyoto."

 

"Your words are too kind. I'm deeply honored..."

 

"It's been a long time since Lord Ujiyasu's passing, and at that time, you might have had doubts about my decisions, but now, I believe it was for the best. I think it would be good for us to team up with the Takeda and Hojo clans again. We should discuss it in more detail over drinks..."

 

"If there's anything I can do to be of service..."

 

"Don't be so formal. We're like family. As for Domanmaru, I acted on my own. I hope you can forgive me... Also, at the behest of my brother Ujimasa, Princess Pomegranate and Princess Jasmine will be placed under the care of Lord Hattori. I know there were some tensions with Lord Ieyasu, but let's hope they can get along..."

 

"We trust your judgment in this matter..."

 

"Since the princesses and Domanmaru won't be suitable for the drinking party, how about allowing Hana and Norimasa to entertain them?"

 

"Understood..."

 

The lord made preparations to host Narumiin and her party.

 

 

Comments